top of page

                                                          1907 - TODAY

The London Colney Football Club was formed in 1907, playing at Whitehorse Lane until moving to its present ground at Cotlandswick, London Colney in 1976. The Club played in the Mid Herts League until the mid-fifties, when it joined the Herts County League. The Club has enjoyed many successes over the years with the 1st team winning the Premier Division League 3 times between 1986 and 1990, and the reserves winning the Reserve Division 4 times between 1987 and 1992.

In 1992 the Club moved to the South Midlands League where in the first season the 1st Team became runners up in the Senior Division and the Reserves won the Division 1 Reserves section. Further successes came between 1993 and 1998 with the 1st Team winning The O, Brian Butcher Challenge Cup, The Herts Charity Shield, The Herts Centenary Trophy, The Premier Division Cup, and gaining promotion to the Premier Division. The Reserves also did well during this time and in 1998 won The Reserves Challenge Trophy.

In the 1998/99 season, the South Midlands League amalgamated with the Spartan League to form the Minerva Spartan South Midlands League and London Colney finished 3rd in the Premier Division. The Blue Boys had the title within their grasp after a brilliant 11 match winning streak between October and December and they remained in the top two throughout the final weeks of the season only to be pipped at the post on the final day of the season by Barkingside and Potters Bar Town. This disappointment was eased a few days later when they beat Hoddesdon Town 1-0 to win the Herts Charity Shield. The Reserves had a brilliant season winning the Reserve League and the reserved cup comfortably. This was also the year that The Spartan South Midlands League Management committee made first Team Manager Mick Wright Manager of the Year for the 1998/99 season.

The 1999/2000 season saw Malcolm Doctor join Mick Wright as a joint manager of the 1st Team. They were finalists in both the Challenge Trophy and the Premier Division Cup only being beaten in penalty shoot outs in both matches. This year London Colney was once again a competitor in the FA Vase and reached the last sixteen losing 4-3 to Eccles Hill United who traveled from Yorkshire for the match.

The 2000/2001 season saw the 1st Team finishing runners up in the League. The reserves finished a creditable 6th in the reserve division.

In the 2001/2002 season, London Colney saw its greatest successes yet with the 1st Team winning the League with a ten-point difference as the highest in the league's history. We lost only two games; scored a massive 119 goals; had a goal difference of 87 after going unbeaten for the first 27 league games. We went top after just three games and maintained domination apart from a few days in December, won 28 of our 38 games, and provided the leagues leading scorer through Gary Sippetts who bagged an incredible 45 strikes. London Colney were also runners up in the Herts Senior Trophy, the only team in the league to ever reach that position, only narrowly losing to Borehamwood 3-2 in a very hard-fought match. We also won the Challenge Trophy and were semi-finalists in the Premier Division Cup. These achievements were rewarded with our Managers, Malcolm Doctor and Mick Wright being awarded the Managers of the Year Trophy.

The 2002/03 season what a difference a year makes whilst not expecting the same successes as the previous season the loss of many of our players to other clubs meant a disastrous start to the season. We then lost Malcolm Doctor who resigned early in the season. However thanks to John Templeton stepping into the breach to join Mick we managed to finish the season a creditable 6th in the league. Our reserves were an academy side and whilst their footballing skills were undisputed and they won the league and were finalists in the reserved cup, they contributed little to the well-being and spirit of London Colney Football Club.

2003/04 season saw several of our players returning to the club and with an optimistic outlook and a great deal of enthusiasm. The first team management remained the same with Mick Wright and John Templeton at the helm. The reserves have reverted to a normal club side with Ray Flanagan and Alan Connell in charge. The first team finished 6th in the league and were finalists in the Challenge Trophy losing to Brook House on penalties after extra time. The reserves finished in the bottom half of the reserve division, which was commendable as it was the first season with Ray and Alan in charge.

2004/05 saw Mick Wright stepping down as Manager leaving John Templeton in sole charge. After a very good start, when we won 7 league games in a row, we seemed to lose our way and finished a disappointing 11th in the league. However, we faired better in the Challenge Trophy and were finalists but were well beaten by Hillingdon Borough 4-1 on the night. The Reserves finished in the lower half of the table in the Reserve Division

2005/06 season saw a new Management Team of Nigel Tester, Kevin Bland, and Vince Buck without much success with the 1st Team finishing 14th in the league but having a good FA Vase Cup run. The reserves finished third under the management of Mark Tyrell and Gary Barber.


2006/2007 We started the season with a new management team but it was decided that for the long term good of the club we would have to part company with the new manager before the end of the season. The 1st team finished mid-table and had an early exit in all major cup competitions. In contrast, the Reserves, under the guidance of Manager Mark Tyrrell, had a brilliant season by winning the league on the last game of the season and also winning the Reserve Challenge Cup beating WGC Reserves from a division above. They were also the losing finalists in the Herts Intermediate Cup.


2007/2008 London Colney FC Centenary Year.
Saw the club relegated from the Premier League for the first time we now start the next century of the club trying to get back to Premier SSMFL Premier status.

2008/2009 saw additional committee members joining a new management team of Julian Robinson as Manager with Frank Patrick as his assistant with most of the young squad retained with a couple of new faces to begin the season in Division One and begin a period of stability with steady consolidation of a club that had shared it’s near past of turmoil with near extinction a possibility.

2009/10 After what seemed an endless season due to fixture congestion and the weather being so inclement the club had a tremendous campaign, albeit after the disappointment of losing out by 1 point for one of the promotion places leaving everyone at the club deflated for a while until we reflected on two cup final victories and one losing 9-10 on pens in the other. The first team with a third-place finish in the MSSML Div One good cup runs in the FA and Vase competitions, the reserves having a tremendous season finishing second in Div Two, The A team won the Bingham Cup and finished runners up in the other cup final and finally the U18’s winning the league and cup double.

2010/11 A management team of Dave Townsend and Frank Patrick were quickly invited into the hot seat following the departure of Julian Robinson to Tring Athletic to try and stabilize the club once more and push for honors, following early disappointing results the team was unable to reach the promotion spots to remain in the division although a Hertfordshire Charity Shield Final saw the Blueboys lose against Premier side Leverstock Green.

2011/12 Following the disappointment of staying in Division One a new management team of Ryan Thompson, Chris Day, and Tony Kavanagh were brought in to bring fresh impetus into the club after Dave Townsend stepped down to become a reserve team manager due to his heavy work commitments together with his impending marriage. The season went from strength to strength with promotion to the premier division gained by a record 15 points with top scorer Matty Newman hitting the 50 goal mark over all competitions, with the young reserve side finishing a creditable mid-table.

Season 2012/13 saw the side finish 7th in the Spartan Midlands League Premier Division consolidating the improvement under Ryan Thompson's guidance this after a season of unprecedented injuries leaving the squad sadly depleted of up to 10 first-team players for most of the season.

Season 2013/14 Saw the side again finish 7th in the Spartan Midlands League Premier Division in what would be Ryan Thompsons last season as manager. After a slow start, the team had a good middle and end to the campaign climbing up the table in the process. Matt Newman also departed scoring 32 goals in his final season with the Blueboys, backed up well by Martin Collins with 17 goals.

Season 2014/15 had seen the start of a new era with Jim Nicholls and his coaching staff at the helm. However, due to work commitments, Jim became Chairman and Ryan Thompson came back as first-team manager. The club went on a remarkable unbeaten streak during the second half of the season, narrowly missing out on the title by finishing second to Kings Langley.

Season 2016/17 saw the club bring in Joe Sweeney and his team from Chesham. An excellent start to the season meant that the Blueboys went straight to the top of the table, and remained there until the end of the season becoming the Spartan Premier Division champions. The Reserve team also won the Suburban league table to make it a double to remember. The powers that be decided to refuse promotion to the Ryman’s League Division 1 which meant 2nd place Hertford Town gained promotion instead. Manager Joe Sweeney and almost all the promotion-winning squad left the club after this decision for pastures new.
The board also decided they no longer wanted to carry on running the club so unless a new board could be found quickly the club would fold with immediate effect.

Season 2017/18 saw a new consortium headed up by Chairman Gareth Davies along with former Peterborough, Watford and Birmingham center forward Ken Charlery agreeing to become the new custodians of the club which was perilously close to folding.
The season started brightly with the Blueboys top of the league after the first 6 games which were a remarkable achievement considering the club had no players with less than 4 weeks to go until the season started. With a very young inexperienced squad (no less than nine under 19s) the early pace could not be maintained and the club finished the season in 13th place while also reaching the semi-final of the League cup before going out to Rissborough Rangers.

bottom of page